Popeye's Vegetable Soup is a delicious guilt free soup that you can enjoy whenever hunger strikes.
Popeye’s Vegetable Soup is a delicious guilt free vegetable soup that you can enjoy whenever hunger strikes.
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 c. low sodium vegetable broth*
- 2 c. water
- 1 clove crushed garlic.
- 5 carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 3 # zucchini
- 1# asparagus spears.
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- 4 c. of spinach.
- Combine onion, garlic and 1/4 c, water in a stockpot.
- Heat over medium heat
- Sauté until onion begins to soften.
- Cut all remaining vegetables into bite-size pieces.
- Add all remaining liquid to stockpot.
- Add all vegetables except for spinach and asparagus.
- Cook until all vegetables are softened.
- Add asparagus and spinach.
- Cook one additional minute
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
Enjoy the vegetable soup as is, or if you prefer a creamy vegetable soup:
- Carefully pour the soup mixture into a high-quality blender.
- Process until the soup is creamy.
Vegetable broth is very easy to make at home. Simply add your favorite vegetables to a stock pot, cover with cold water and add a bit of your favorite low sodium seasoning. Boil for approximately one hour and you now have beautiful homemade broth. You can use any vegetables and they may be freshly chopped, scraps (think carrot peels) or even the pulp from your juicer. I use the latter method the most often.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
Originally published on: May 15, 2014