Orange Roughy with Oven-Roasted Tomatoes.
The Foil Packet Cooking method isn’t limited to warm weather, of course.
You can prepare delicious foil packet meals in your oven year round.
This recipe calls for oven-roasted tomatoes.Print
- Preheat your grill or your oven to 400 degrees.
- Tear off 4 sheets of aluminum foil into sections large enough to fold over filets, with another couple of inches on each side to seal.
- Place a filet slightly off center on each sheet and place 1 large oven-dried tomato slice and 2 lemon slice halves on top of each.
- Top each fillet with ¼ of the fresh thyme and add 1/2 T. of butter to each packet.
- If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fold the 3 open sides, one at a time, over several times to seal the packet completely. The goal is to seal the packet tight enough to hold in the steam, but allow enough room for the air to expand.
- Place foil packet in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or place on hot grill over medium, direct heat and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- To serve, open the foil packets, carefully avoiding the hot steam.
- Discard lemon slices.
- Transfer filets to plates (if desired) or leave inside foil packets.
- The photo also featured Meditteranean Pasta Salad
- 4 tomatoes
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- thyme leaves
- Slice tomatoes into 2” thick slices and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil over the slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Place in a pre-heated 200-degree oven for approximately 2 hours.
- When finished, the tomatoes will be nicely browned around the edges.
- Remove from oven and use immediately or store in an airtight container covered with olive oil.
- Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
If you have a food dehydrator then this is even easier.
Oven drying is a great way to use up excess tomatoes from your garden or the farmers’ market. In addition, the process of drying them concentrates their flavor by removing excess moisture. The result is a really sweet, delicious burst of flavor in each bite.