What is the real truth about Diet Soda?
Dr. Mark Hyman joins us to give us the real scoop on sugary drinks and diet soda.
A True or False Quiz on diet soda and propaganda.
These are examples of diet soda and food industry propaganda that make and keep us, fat and sick.
Lies by the food industry combined with bad government policy based on food industry lobbying are the major cause of our obesity and diabetes epidemic.
Now over 35 percent of Americans are obese, and almost 70 percent are overweight.
This is not an accident but the result of careful marketing and politics.We are told it is all about making better choices. We have been told there are no good or bad foods, that the key to weight loss is moderation. And, of course, if we all just exercised more all of us would lose weight.
These ideas hold us hostage.
Diet Drinks Can Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes.
If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea.
A 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.
- Diet sodas raise the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
- Women who drink one 12-ounce diet soda have a 33 percent increased risk of type 2 diabetes and women who drink one 20-ounce soda have a 66 percent increased risk.
- Women who drink diet sodas drink twice as much as those who drink sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
- The average diet soda drinker consumes 3 diet drinks a day.
This and other research show how diet sodas can make people fat and sick.
How does that happen?
- Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar. Plus they activate our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
- They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. Consequently causing your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which then lays down more belly fat.
- It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.
- It increases your cravings for sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
- In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks – EVEN eating fewer calories.
- In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.
The diet and food industry has brainwashed us to believe that eating fats makes you fat. But the science has proven that eating fat doesn’t make you fat, or raise your cholesterol – SUGAR does.
We are programmed to like sweet, salt, and fat tastes.
These foods are biologically addictive.